why360

Looking around me I see the bigger pictures. And I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.

Google

Friday, April 13, 2007

An old building

A few months ago I would have never thought that the old building at Jalan (Road) Telok Sisek, Kuantan, Malaysia would be revived. But about 1 month ago I saw some people working on it, and very recently I saw it revived, as a business premises.

That is what it looks like now.


The front porch.


The back with a gazebo, but it seems to be neglected.


The main hall. Observe that staircase to the upstairs (left top corner of the photo) but I did not manage to take photographs of what the upstairs looks like.


And the original tiles leading from the ‘kitchen (and probably dining area) to the main hall.


The kitchen (and probably the dining hall) areas.


Its just my guess, as I saw that the chimney position (top right hand corner of the house photo)


is at the edge of the building but the chimney does not seem to have a bottom, probably that part of the house has been demolished (and changed).

But the washing area seems intact and the window has been bricked over. Just my guess.


There seems to be an underground area, not sure what it was for originally.




I am happy that they have not demolished that building, one can see the date when it was built. It has a local historical value, but in Malaysia such values seems not important unless it has some political connections.


But I am sad that in the process of renovation for whatever the modern use of that building is, they seemed to have changed the facade so that the building originality seems lost.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger paula said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:28 PM  
Blogger lisa_d said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Avida Towers San Lorenzo said...

WOW! This place was beautiful! Love the floor settings.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Malaysia Blogsites List

>br>