why360

Looking around me I see the bigger pictures. And I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.

Google

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Temerloh menu

Sunday 18th Feb. 2007, I drove to Temerloh from Kuala Lumpur thinking that the 'pekan sari' (Sunday morning people's market) at Temerloh would be there; what a disappointment, it wasn't there; it seemed that because 18th Feb. 2007 was the Chinese New Year Day, they have brought forward the 'pekan sari' to Saturday, that is the day before. Anyway, I went to the spot where the 'pekan sari' is usually held on a Sunday morning. And I saw that I was not the only one disappointed, there were also others from outstaion who were there expecting the 'pekan sari' to be held that Sunday morning.

But instead of worrying about the 'pekan sari' not available, I decided to explore a bit of that area of Temerloh town where 'pekan sari' is usually held.

The first place that caught my attention was the newly finished stalls where smack right in the middle was a sort of symbol, a sort of but I don't really understand what that symbol was. Perhaps someday someone can tell me.



Then my attention was caught by the jetty with strainless steel railings and the viewing platform also with stainless steel railings. These were quite low but enough to view the activities of the Pahang River (http://why360.blogspot.com/2007/02/sungei-pahang-pahang-river.html) and its tributory the Semantan River.



That place is historic, its where where Dato' Bahaman ( a Malay worrier revolted against the British when the British was trying to get a foothold in Pahang in late 19th Century. He lost the war though he won in some of the battles. He fled to Thailand and never came back (I stand corrected there)). Anyway the scene from the viewing platform is quite interesting. Across the river one can see a sand extractin plant, and a pile of sand.





And an obsecure jetty with passenger boats, one can watch boats crossing the Pahang River at the spot, carrying those who want to cross the Pahang River, either out of necessity or just for a pleasure ride. Looking upriver one can see a few structure, these are mostly jetty and in some where they rear river fish, ikan patin (a species fresh water catfish) fish famous in Temerloh town, and also talapia fish.




Looking downriver one can see the Temerloh Bridge, the new one being higher than the old bridge. The old bridge was built quite low and during one of the flood seasons it got swept away by the flood water, when heavy debris collected at the upriver side of the bridge and the 'weight' was too much form the bridge to hold and so it gave away. One can see the ends of the old bridge on both banks. And what of the sand bank downriver after the bridge? It has become a permanent feature, an island. The sandbank split the river and the river meets again after the sand bank island to become one stream again.



Looking nearer the scene of the viewing platform (and the jetty) one can see that its a beautiful structure.




and a scenery on the road,



Nice flowers on the river bank, and a closer view of the boat.





But the whole place seems to be not so well maintained.



Actually its the dirty habits of the people that makes it worse.

And one can see a floating platform , 'rakit' they call them, left high and dry.



But those on the water (they are at the mouth of Sungei Semantan) seemed peaceful enough. In those days, in the 1940s and the 1950s, there was a row of such 'rakit' on the river, where people actually lived in them.



Just to while away the time that morning, I drove along where the 'pakan sari' is supposed to be. I was plaesed to see a small 'futsal' court just built in an open ground and in it was a hive of activities even in such a morning. I am told that over the weekend and at night the indoor court is fully booked.




And further on is the Temerloh padang (public field) there they have built a sort of mini stadium.



And in the area of the 'pekan sari' is a row of eating stalls. Looked a bit dim to me, but these eating stalls are very popular amongs the locals.



And by the Sungei Pahang bank is a special tree, of fig family known locally as 'ara' tree.



The fruits when young are green bunches and not soft but when ripe it turns red and soft. Its tasteless, but when the fruits drop into the river water, they are the favourite food of the river fish. Under these trees one may be able to detect big fish eating the fig fruits that have dropped into the water. That probably why one may see people fishing.



After going about frustrated with no 'pekan sari' on that day, and also my favourite eating shop nearby closed for the day (it was a public holiday), I went into the old Temerloh town and had lunch at a resturant over there. Suprisingly the lunch of rice and fish in chilli hot cooked cocconut sauce was very pleasant and satisfying.



I drove back into my kanmpung after all that, a frustrating day at the beginning but became a very useful experience.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Malaysia Blogsites List

>br>