why360

Looking around me I see the bigger pictures. And I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.

Google

Monday, May 08, 2006

Historical Tin Lode Mines in Sungei Lembing Malaysia.


Anyone visiting Sungei Lembing in Malaysia will not fail to see such man made entrance to the hills sorrounding the 'cowboy' town.


The man-made entrance is big enough for a man to go in.


And there are many such manmade entrances along the brim of the hillsides. These are the old entrances to the tin lode mines which flourished before WW2 and just after.


Unfortunately most of these entrances are now blocked, by earth which collapsed due to them being unmaintained, and the wood supporting these tunnels rotting away.


One can see how these tunnels were supported, by wood, and the sides also lined with wood.



The Japanese when they invaded Malaya in the WW2 tried to work these mines but without proper technology, which were European owned, they failed. And when the Europeans returned after WW2 they worked these mines again. But as time went on, the mines became uneconomical so they left. Now its abandonned and unmaintained. But one can see what were there in the Sungei Lembing Museum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Malaysia Blogsites List

>br>